Tuesday 18 June 2013

Learning to Use Scissors


Before I give my class of three year old children scissors to cut paper, I try to give them many different and fun fine motor learning experiences. I like to give them plastic scissors (Which are not sharp!) so they can learn to hold the scissors correctly and build up strength and confidence with handling the scissors correctly. 
We mixed the paint into the spaghetti with our hands and then cut it into small pieces with the scissors. Great red fun!!



Cutting playdough
I encourage the children to roll long sausages out of playdough and then cut the playdough into small parts. We often extend this activity by counting the playdough pieces and comparing the length. 



After cutting playdough and spaghetti we will move on to snipping strips of paper.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great idea. I never thought of using other materials to explore scissors. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to help kids learn to & practice cutting =)

    thanks for linking up to TGIF, hope to see you linked up again soon =)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete